Friday, 5 September 2008

What a day!!!

Having just been out in the pouring rain to walk Barney! (Although he was not keen on the idea!!!) I have to say the weathermen were right! No wonder there is a weather warning! I was kitted out in my winter dog walking gear of wax jacket, wax hat and wellies!! So, what do you do on a day like this??? This!!!!! Seek inspiration for good bit of crafting!!! I have to say this is my haul from the last month and a bit!!! (Guilty!) but a lot I bought in France reduced and also I am a bit addicted!! Particularly when i see Christmas magazines arriving on the shelves!! So I thawed out and dried off with a hot cup of coffee and a browse through my favourite mags.
I mentioned earlier about crafting yesterday and I sure did craft!! One of the things I have been wanting to do, is make up an apron with a pattern that I bought off the antique market in France. Here it is pictured with some of my other sewing goodies, along side a notebook I made for my shop. It was a "Paris Luxe" pattern for 'Madame' maybe dating from the fifties. I decided to make it up in some Cath Kidston fabric, (extravagant I know!) so voila!!!!
It is so cute and fifties! Cooking has never been so glamourous!! And here it is being modeled!
It has a shaped fron waistband and a big bow at the back of the neck!! Its going in my Etsy shop!
It put me right in the mood for baking this morning! Why don't more people bake? Do you have one of these? You know that un-used wedding present from great auntie Ethel!

A food mixer, hand held or like this. If so, you can make this cake and it has no fat in it!!!

All you need are eggs, caster sugar and plain flour! How simple can that be? And a cake tin of course to bake it in! So, here goes: Weigh out 3oz of caster sugar (sorry I still work in old money!!!) and 3 eggs and place them together in the mixing bowl. Using a whisk attachment, whisk on high for about five mins! In the mean time grease and line your cake tin and put the oven on 180 degrees C.




When it looks all white and foamy like this and you can write your initials on the surface and still see them, it's done!




Now comes the only tricky bit and you just have to be gentle! Sieve the flour on to the mixture. Using a METAL tablespoon, carefully cut and turn the mixture to fold the flour in to the mix. This cake's the main ingredient to make it rise is AIR and if you go beating it now you will beat all the air out and it wont rise! So slowly carefully, delicately does it! Turn the mixture over until you can see no flour on the surface. Use a figure of 8 movement, cut and turn, cut and turn.



Then pour it - not spoon it - pour it into the tin. DO Not Bang the tin or the air bubbles will all burst. bake it in the centre of the oven for about 25-30 mins, until the top springs back slightly when you gently touch it with 3 fingers! Turn it out to cool! So pleased with this one I nearly got the spirit level out!!! I don't think I have ever made one so level!!






Known as a whisked sponge cake, I slice it in half with the bread knife and fill this with strawberry jam and you too can have a yummy tea break like me!!! Enjoy! If you try it let me know how you get on! And No fat in it!!!! Albeit I often sandwich it together with cream and sliced bananas!! Lol! It's best eaten fresh, so don't hold back!!! Thanks Auntie Tricia for my food mixer! I still love it albeit 20 years old! I would not be without one! Cost of cake???? Pennies! off to have a slice! TFLx

6 comments:

ricanlaw said...

I love magazines...oh what fun. That apron is too darn cute!! You multi-talented woman you.

karen m. (akaliz) said...

i have the cutest fabric that i've been dying to make into an apron. my mom makes aprons...but i didn't inherit any of that skill from her.

that apron is just too darn cute!!!

sue-bubbles said...

What an amazing apron, I love it!
Sue x

Kelly said...

Love the apron...so wish that I could sew!!
The cake looks so good...just might have to give it a go ;o)

Rita said...

Very cute apron! Love the big bow! Your cake recipe looks yummy...I'll have to give it a try soon:)

Scrap Evangel said...

Love the photo of coffee and scrap mags. Now that's my idea of a good time!