Tuesday, 14 October 2008

A halloween project


Just made a quick card for my school card club tomorrow, thanks to my friend Sue bubbles on the do-crafts forum - a frequent contributor to my comments list! I sent out an emergency plea for halloween die cuts, as I don't possess a die cutting machine yet!!! It is on my list for Santa this year!! Sue came up trumps with an envelope full of bats, ghosts and haunted houses for me to concoct a spooky card from!!!!! Bearing in mind we have only half an hour to make it, it had to be simple!! We had loads of silver mirri-card at school, so I cut some 6x6 cards and then drew a circle of bright yellow paper for a moon. I cut a simple ground shape out of green paper to 'ground' the haunted house to the floor and provide a little bit of colour. Each child can choose two or three die-cuts - I have some pumpkins on order, but they have not arrived yet, so they will be for the other half of the group next week! Glue the moon in the centre of the card and overlap the ground. Then glue the haunted house to one side, so all the window openings show the moon through the holes. To add dimension I glued yellow paper behing the ghost eyes and then raised them up on large double foam pads, to the left of the card. I used alphabet stickers to spell 'Happy Halloween' in a mixture of fonts. I added some white gell pen and used a chalk ink pad to add a bit dimension to the haunted house. To complete the card I coloured the ghost eyes and mouth and the haunted house windows with a clear 'gelly-roll pen' to add sparkle. The finishing touch was a piece of black ribbon, stapled in the top corner and paper string around the spine. To complement my card I made a trick or treat bag from brown paper. I wrapped a book in brown paper leaving one end open to slide the book out. I folded down the top edge for extra strength. I then covered the base with an oblong of paper and inside the bag I glued an oblong of card to add strength for all those sweets! The handles were made from garden twine, threaded through four holes punched with my Cropadile! The decoration was simple. Two die cut bats (from Sue Bubbles again!) and they were held in place with tiny silver button brads through the eye holes. I curved the wings slightly for dimension. Trick or treat was written with candy cane stickles! Happy haunting!!!! TFLx

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great spooky projects!The kids will love them.
Jackie worcs :-)

Hi I'm Maria... said...

They're lovely cc, the kids will enjoy making them, well done.
Maria

sue-bubbles said...

Brilliant halloween projects CC..welldone you! Good luck with all those kiddies!
Sue x

Anonymous said...

The bag is a great idea & I love the card - I'm sure the kids will too. Mgt.

altered geisha said...

Well done you..I too do voluntary work with crafty kids and it's such hard work but worth the results!! Your results are fabulous!!