Saturday, 25 October 2008

A Pumpkin wreath

Had this idea in my head for a while, as I love the way the Americans dress their houses for this season of halloween. I had this wreath ring in the loft, as it used to form the basis of my front door wreath a while ago, until it was superceeded. I have hung onto it waiting for inspiration to strike! So, along with the wreath ring, I bought 3 artificial ornamental gourds, 2 metres of organza ribbon and one spray of autumn oak leaves from the local florists. I wanted to use artificial gourds as I wanted to keep it for next year too! Somewhere I have a raffia witch when I find her, that I can add for halloween night! (Check out the pound shops for cheaper supplies of halloween goodies and artificial flowers!)

Other than that, all you need is a glue gun, but if you don't have one, you could wire the things on with florists wire.1. Make a bow using the organza ribbon double. (I take hold of two loops of ribbon and then just do the first part of the shoelace bow i.e. the knot!) Set this to one side.

2. With the remainder of the ribbon, thread it around the wreath ring, thread it through the middle, then over the edge, keep going until you have used the ribbon, then space it out evenly around the circle and glue the ends in place.3. Split the spray of autumn leaves into 3 using pliers to chop through the wire. Leave a stem so you can tuck the leaf spray into the twig ring. These I spaced evenly around the wreath, one at the top and then the others at roughly five o'clock and eight oclock on a clock face. Tuck the wire into the twigs but the add glue to arrange the leaves exactly where you want them and add strength.4. Decide which gourd is going where and experiment with the best way up to place them. Add two or three large blobs of glue from the glue gun then hold in place until the gue sets. Finally, glue the bow in place, just off centre at the top. use a large blob of glue to make sure it is secure.
5. Use a Christmas wreath hanger (widely available for £1.99) to hang your wreath on the front door, but be sure to wire the wreath to the door hanger securely to stop thieves pinching your handiwork!! (I once lost a wreath that way, when we were first married and have not been caught out since!) You could also use a length of florist ribbon to hang the wreath over the top of the door and drawing pin it to the top edge. Then you could lift the wreath to the inside at night or if you go out, to be certain it does not walk!!!! This wreath could stay in place until your Christmas wreath is ready to go up!

Happy Autumn!

10 comments:

sue-bubbles said...

Your pumpkin wreath is stunning CC! That bow is gorgeous!!!
Sue x

Anonymous said...

I love to see Doors decorated too.

I use the long ribbon method for attaching it to the door & draw-pin it to the top inside - mine's hasn't gone missing yet.
A great idea till I put my Xmas wreath up. Mgt.

dawn said...

What a beautiful wreath! Love the Fall feel of it! :-)

Amy Coose said...

What an amazing wreath, and great directions! TFS!

Anonymous said...

Groovy wreath CC!Jackie worcs:-)

Chris Dodaj said...

sweet wreath!! tfs!!

ann-marie said...

beautiful wreath!!

Nicole said...

what a great project Caroline...LOVE IT!!

Hi I'm Maria... said...

Another stunning piece, well done cc.

Maria x

voodoo vixen said...

Your wreath is beautiful and I so wish I had picked up the plain wreaths when I went to Khobar now... it would have been perfect for this!