Thursday, 19 February 2009

Tim Holtz Stuff!!!!!!!

Having had my fingers and toes crossed that I won the Tim Holtz raffle at the demo - I didn't!!! :( Anyway I have finally had chance to play with some of the goodies I bought!! I bought three alcohol inks, some pearl mixative, some blending solution, felt ink applicator and glossy card, a couple of distress embossing powders and a distress ink pad in 'old paper', along with a set of four stamps of old postcard images and some 7 gypsies architecture rub ons.

What I decided to do was get together all the Tim Holtz/Ranger things that I already have and put them into one tray.
I had bought a Tim Holtz mask for the cybercrop and had some crackle paint and paint dabbers too, along with some Stickles and some perfect pearls mica powder. Once I put everything together, I was able to get started on some of his tag techniques from the twelve days of Christmas, just not with a Christmas theme!!!

What I had not realised until after his demo is that I needed the foam applicator tool too, so that was duly sent for this week and arrived yesterday morning!! The foam applicator is for the distress ink pads. The felt for the alcohol inks only.
In his demo he also used Glossy Accents as a glue and used some of his "fragments" of acrylic - I had some I have had ages from Joanna Sheen, so I have used those. The other thing you need, that I had already was a water mist spray bottle. He recommends you use Archival ink pads instead of Stazon for a permanent finish on glossy card, I also owned one of these, so I dug that one out too.
At the paper craft show in Hull the other week I bought a "Rub it - scrub it" stamp cleaning pad and it is fab! Quite cheap too!! A quick way to clean your stamps!! I don't normally bother much or just use baby wipes, but this is dead easy!!He used a craft mat from ranger for spreading his inks on, it was £15, so I thought I would try with a couple of non stick oven sheets from the pound shop!!
Ok all set to go! I can finally start playing!!! My first experiment was to mix alcohol inks on the craft mat with mixative and dip in my glossy card tag shapes that I have cut to shape. Stamp with archival ink and my new stamps I got as a prize for winning the mini book class at Cybercrop.



Not impressed with my first attempts!!! Not looking a bit like Tim's!!!!!
I decided to abandon the alcohol inks and try the distress inks!!! Much more success!!!


This one used a mask and a Maya mist paint spray with perfect pearls on top. This one had inks direct from the craft mat, spritzed and then a rub on on top.
The acrylic decoration has been done with alcohol inks then embossed on the back with copper embossing powder. This one was stamped and embossed in distress embossing powder then inked and aged. The tag was painted with crackle paint and rubbed with ink.
This one was inked direct from the craft mat and then a acrylic fragment was used as a decoration, glued to pattern paper with Glossy accents and the edges of the acrylic painted with a paint dabber.
This one was done on dark card. A stamp was clear embossed and then paint applied over the top and then wiped off to reveal the stamp as a resist image.
The next tag is inked using the foam applicator tool over a mask. It was then stamped over the top and stickles added to accent. A rub on and metal flowers add texture.
The next tag, I went back to the inks and the felt ink pad and the glossy paper. I did much better this time!! It's just a case of getting used to it!!! I need more colours! I had chosen two reds and a green they are all a bit too samey with my brown archival ink! Will have to wait a bit!!! Do more experimenting!!! At least I have lots of tags for my 52 Q&A now! TFLxP.S. an edge distressing tool is essential, I have a Heidi Swapp one that was free in my monthly kit but Tim does one too! Also do-crafts do a scratch tool that is retractable!! Adding that to my list!

8 comments:

sue-bubbles said...

WOW you have been a busy bee CC, lovely goodies and fabby work!
Sue x

*Paula* said...

Sounds like a lot of fun to play with! I love the heart tag above

Chris Dodaj said...

That tag is just stunning!
That kind of art intimidates me, but you did a great job!!
Maybe I will pull out my inks and try that today!!
tfs!

Anonymous said...

Your tags look fab, love the ones with the bird, hearts and the alcohol ink ones.Jackie:-)

Houston said...

Those are great! I have taken several of his classes and I always love his stuff, the distress inks are my favorites but you can also get some great looks with the Adirondack dye inks and a mini mister, he did a watercolor thing on his blog a while back with those. Have fun playing with all you new goodies!

Close To Home said...

those tags are really awesome! wow! i will have to mark this page- i am no good at making tags!

Karen said...

nice tags! i love tim holtz stuff! checking in from SC.

Hi I'm Maria... said...

WOW, you've been busy CC, lovely lot of tags, and great methods, well done...

maria x