Tuesday, 12 May 2009

So who remembers this?

Whilst in the fabulous Cath Kidston shop in York, I spied one of these 'French knitting' dolls and went right back to my youth! I just had to buy it! I had some crazy idea that I may use it on a layout somehow, but really I wanted to see if it was just how I remembered! For a bit of fun, I took it to mum and dads on dads birthday and as soon as he saw it my dad was reminiscing about this "knitting Nancy" as it was known in his day and how he had been given one when he was in the isolation hospital, with Diptheria and had knitted a piece so long it went out of the ward door!! Another piece of information I had no idea about!!! I knew he had had Diptheria and been very seriously ill in hospital for a long, long time, but the knitting Nancy toy was a whole new memory I sparked! I remember having one of these, painted in black red and pink to look like a person. I remember knitting with it, but I never actually did anything with the length of knitting I produced.
True to form, the health and safety police have got hold of this and it is now supplied with the bluntest tool possible that makes it impossible to hook the yarns over the pins! How we survived our youth I will never know! When I did this as a child we had a metal spike tool on a handle!! Needless to say I had to go and find a large bodkin to be able to do it at all!!!!! The youth of today are so mollycoddled!!! (Is that how you spell it???) Anyway, having rediscovered my 1970's flower loom last week, I am rediscovering french knitting this week! What will it be next? Pom-pom pets????!!! I am going to have a go at doing this with ribbon! Watch this space!
If you remember this, even if it was just a wooden cotton reel with four carpet tacks in, please leave me a comment! if you are too young to remember this, please don't tell me!!!! I feel old enough as it is!!!! LOL! Funny how they bring back all the old things! TFLx
P.S. How come when I spell check each blog entry I have always spelt remember with one too few "m"s!! I must have a typing block when it comes to that word.

13 comments:

SusieJ said...

Oh boy! Do I remember this? Yes!!!! I still have my doll somewhere (painted black and red to look like a person!) - I did enjoy playing with it but can't remember doing anything with the finished product.
And yes - the youth of today are mollycoddled - I'm amazed that we all survived too!
Sue xx
p.s. Did you have a Hula Hoop?

Anonymous said...

I didn't have one of these but my sister did. She made just about every doll in the road a scarf with it.
My Mum also had one when she was a little girl & said she used to knit her Dad garters with it to hold up his socks....Mgt.

Crafty Dawn said...

I remember this VERY WELL lol I made alsorts with it. I remember we had these silly mats in our house that I made. I made carpets for my sisters dolls house. I have fond mamories.

I had a basket weaving set gosh before eletronic toys this is all I used to get crafty things. Potters wheel oh my the list is endless.

Do you remember making French skipping ropes with a bag of elastic bands? I saw a kit in Hobby craft this brought back a flood of memories too!

I have to say Kath Kidsons Shop in York is one of MY VERY FAVES I was in there hours last time I went in Feb. (I'm due another visit lol).

Better stop waffling love the blog sweet.

Love Dawn xx

Crafting to stay sane! said...

Hi Caroline, yes I remember the french knitting and I'm afraid mine was done on a wooden cotton reel with 4 tacks in the top!Yes just shows how things come round again! thanks for bringing back some happy memories!
Alyson xx

CoventryAnn said...

i remember this caroline, and funnily enough my DD2 had one a couple of years ago, she spent a lot of a very wet holiday in Northern Ireland making long bits of knitted things!! So not just for the oldies like us :)

DGgirl said...

Yep Croline - I really am that old and remember having one!!!!

Gillx

sue-bubbles said...

Oh CC, I remember these well...well, the cotton reel with tacks in it anyway, I never had an 'official' one! Like you, I remember knitting away, but what we ever did with all the lengths...who knows! Cant wait to see what you create with ribbons though CC, that sounds rather scrummy! Am watching this space!
Sue x

Lynn said...

Hi Caroline ... I had one of those when I was younger! It was a red plastic one. I was always into something crafty in those days :)

Anonymous said...

I can remember them but I didnt have one. We used to do finger knitting instead and play 'elastics'. We also had those 'clacker' things too, which were then banned at our school as being too dangerous along with British Bulldog!
Jackie worcs :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh I had one of these and made miles of 'knitting' with it.
I never did anything with it though!

Hi I'm Maria... said...

oh I remember this too CC, mine was the cotton reel and 4 nails, made mats and coasters, lol...

saying that, did buy my dd one when she was small, and still got it, will have to dig all these oldie items out, lol...

thanks for the memories....

maria x

voodoo vixen said...

LOL, that brings back some memories! Yep, I had one those too, never did anything with the stuff I made though... but it must have kept me quiet for a while!!
Can't wait to see the ribbon effort with it!

Anonymous said...

Well I was searching for one of those during the Easter holidays and had no luck. Unfortunately I don't live anywhere near a CK shop (hmmm, could be a good thing though as I am sure I would fall in love with way too many things) so I might just have to find somewhere online. I remember having a wooden one when I was a child, I am not sure what I did with the end results, probably made a scarf for Sindy or Pippa!

Constantina