Thursday, 7 May 2009

Victorian




This page was done for the Scrap Like You Mean It challenge over on UKs and the theme was 'Layers and lace.' Caroline, over at Bubbly funk had done a great page as inspiration and I had the very photo's I wanted to scrap, some Victorian interior shots of the house where I was born. The house in question has been featured on here before! It was an old house, built by the gentry and later used as a vicarage. By the time I was born there it was converted into flats. Someone in the village found these old photos and gave them to mum and dad as they knew they had lived there. I think they are fab! Lots of detail here, so here's how I did it!
I started with a die cut paper that had a acanthus leaf print on, very Victorian. I stuck this down on a toning piece of card stock, with DST and then inked over one side edge using a Tim Holtz foam pad and Walnut distress ink pad. I then curled the edges of this background die cut upwards, to create my first layer and the side that was inked revealed a scallop pattern on the card stock underneath. I wanted some sort of old writing text on here and I found a piece of this background paper with an extract from Wind In The Willows (I think it is by October Afternoon). This was my second layer. Now comes the lucky part. I realised that two of my three photographs overlapped slightly, so I could superimpose one on the top of the other and by adding foam pads, I created a top layer of the final photograph.
I wanted a bold title, so I used the Sassafrass wood grain effect card stock sticker. The journaling is hand written up the right hand side of the patterned paper. Now to embellish. The top right hand corner is a grouping of layers of Prima flowers and flower buttons on foam pads, along with fabric brads and brass buttons. This add texture. More texture was added down the right hand side of the photo, using machine stitching in both straight stitch and zig-zag (tips for sewing on card here) and some antique cream lace from a french market, pleated and stitched in place. The Anna Griffin flower brads complete this side of the layout.
More texture was added at the other side of the photo's, using pearly doodles to highlight the stamens on the background die cut print and adding gem in a toning colour.
The final embellishment is a flower, cut from Victorian receipts. I have shown how to do these in a tutorial before, here.
Finally, have just decided to g and get busy with my craft knife and carefully cut into the die cut sheet around the leaf to reveal the card underneath and so I can curl it up slightly for more dimension. Will post an update later! TFL x

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is beautiful, really evokes the Victorian age.
Jackie:-)

Hi I'm Maria... said...

oh haven't you been busy since I last checked your blog CC, lovely L/O's as usual,

and hope you're feeling better...

maria x