Friday, 19 June 2009

Newcastle: Mini book heaven!

Yesterday I managed to make two mini albums!! What a treat! I will share one today and one another day.
This album style came about thank to Gina over on the do-crafts forum sharing her idea for buying children's board books from charity shops and mixing the pages up!
Back in March, when I went to the charity shop to buy some, I bought three that were exactly the same size! That's all they had!! Here is the before picture;
Here they are after I ripped off all the coloured pages and separated them out. All beautifully uniform!!
I wanted pages that were different sizes, so I trimmed a piece of the edge of some of them and a bit more off others until I had a set I was happy with. This actually came about by accident on the first page as I punched my BIA holes in slightly the wrong place, so I cut it off!!
It is important to mention at this point that these pages were thick chipboard so I punched holes before I covered them and at each stage of covering, to make sure I did not overload the BIA.
Thanks to my Studio Calico April kit and add on, I was able to create this lovely blend of pale blues and tan - not a combination that I would have put together myself necessarily, but I love it! Lots of Pink Paislee papers and trimmings together with that fabulous Prima flower and some Tim Holtz stuff thrown in for good measure!
The cover was made using Tim Holtz alphabet mask and a foam applicator tool with the walnut stain distress ink. These letters stick beautifully and I was able to apply the distress ink in a circular motion on the craft sheet and working onto the paper. After removing the letters I think it looks great! I recommend this technique, I am using it a lot at the moment!

I covered each side of the chipboard with papers, joining papers on some pages and adding a ribbon or border to cover the join. I added some tabs to the edge of pages too.
Journaling was done on some tags that were included in the kit and I also used the Prima flower packaging card as it was so beautiful! It was even a bit pearlised!

I had another play with the Tim Holtz masks on this page but used my Maya Mist to spray on the paint this time. I switched letters to make it different to the front and did this on Kraft cardstock to help absorb the paint.
All the background papers were glued on using double sided tape around the edge and gluestick in the centre and around the BIA holes. As you cover each page with the background paper, re-punch it in the BIA as you go along. It's easy if you use the distance guide at the end and slide each page in up to the end stop.
Before attaching any photo's or embellishments, I bound the mini album using the largest BIA wire. I then started to add the photos and plan the journaling and embellishments. Finally I added some Pink Paislee rub ons and some ribbon to the wire.
Anyone spot the deliberate mistake that turned into my fave design feature????
I started to punch hole in the wrong edge of one page. I left it and used it as the front adding ribbons for extra trimming, which gave me a space to hang my Tim Holtz disc that says cherish!! I love it! I shall definitely do that again!! LOL!!
There are lots of other pages, I wont bore you with them all but it records our anniversary trip down memory lane, that we took back in April to revisit Newcastle Upon Tyne where we were both at the 'Polytechnic' doing our degrees. TFLx

5 comments:

Hi I'm Maria... said...

lovely album CC, and it' nice to know you are human with making mistakes, lol...

your work is always so perfect...

maria x

Crafting to stay sane! said...

Gorgeous Album as ever CC and what a great idea! Hugs Alyson xx

CoventryAnn said...

This is beautiful. Also love using masks at present, think i need the alpha set!!

LadyBug said...

What a great little booka nd a fantastic idea to use childrens books I'm always searching for good chipboard to use as the base in my minibooks! search is now over thankls to you :)

SusieJ said...

Marvellous book CC - and what a happy "accident" on the front cover!
Great photos too.
Sue xx