Thursday, 17 September 2009

A challenge and a half! "Fly Away"

Over on the Studio Calico blog, Ms Kirsty Wiseman set a fiendish challenge to do a layout without patterned paper or embellishments, 'Just paint, mists, card stock of any colour, punches and pens', to get back to the basics of scrapping, photo and journaling!! Well this is a tricky one!! Having opened my new SC kit today, which contained Maya mists and a Martha Stewart butterfly punch, I decided to give it a go!!
I'm not normally a 'butterfly' girl and have to say, with having sons, the opportunity to use them comes up rarely, having said that I had a flash of inspiration to use them together tonight! Back in June, when it was hot, DS1 decided to get out our old six foot paddling pool and he and his brother had a whale of a time! I had my new camera and had taken a series of shots of them playing in the water, but had not yet scrapped any of them. It was on one of these shots as they stood side by side, that I realised they were all grown up! Both about the same height, much taller than me! and both mature men with deep voices. As you all know, DS one is about to 'fly away' to Uni so the journaling on this page just flowed. Still not sure how I'm going to feel come Sunday!
27 shots, printed as index prints, then cut out and each punched with my new Martha Stewart classic butterfly punch. I hand drew the title on white card with my journaling pen and cut out. The masked background was sprayed with brown and cream Maya mist and a touch of iridescent pearl. The scallop circles used for the flower were edged using a paint dabber in hazelnut. I must admit, I am quite liking this page, even though it is not my usual style! The background cardstock is Bazzill dotted Swiss. TFLx
P.S. look closely at those butterflies, each one of the 27 is a different photo! The one at the top right is the one that prompted the journaling!

4 comments:

SusieJ said...

Simply stunning! You've certainly met the challenge CC.
Good luck for this w/end to your DS (and you). I'll be joining you - we take DS to Bristol tomorrow and as I have only the one it'll be empty nest time.
Sue xx

sue-bubbles said...

An amazing page CC - wow to the butterfly photographs! Its fabulous, welldone you!
Sue x

CoventryAnn said...

Love the udea of punching the photos, brilliant!

Denise said...

You did a fabulous job on the challenge. I don't even know where to begin with mine. :o)