Monday, 14 September 2009

Recipe card mini album

Well, I've been meaning to make this for a while and seeing as my son leaves for Uni next week, I thought I had better get on and make it!! Yesterday afternoon, I spent my time typing out all his favourite recipes that I make that are fairly simple and quick to do. Now I am not kidding myself that he will be cooking all the time, but as he has a GCSE in food tech and has been working for 7 months in a pub kitchen, I thought he just might!!
When I got these Cosmo Cricket Early bird papers in my Studio Calico kit a few months ago I knew I would have a go at this! I had a Bo Bunny naked 6x6 chipboard album and extra pages waiting in the cupboard and I thought the D ring album was the best, so he can remove individual recipe cards to take along to the kitchen. I covered each page with the patterned papers, then typed up the recipes on computer, printed out on copy paper and inked the edges using a toning Tim Holtz distress ink in 'shabby shutters.' I knew they would get splashed so I decided to cold laminate them with the normal school book backing plastic as the chipboard was too thick to go through my laminator.
Anyone with boys knows you have to keep things simple! However, I could not resist the chipboard shapes on the cover as he loves his toast!! So Voila! Here he has all his favourite recipes in one place and there are a few spare pages to add more! I called it his best friend! It's over to him now!
Did you notice the fun I had with the truth or dare spin the bottle embellishment??? I would not have used it as it was, but decided there may be an element of fun if I altered it to include some tea suggestions!!! My son is not good a varying his ideas so I picked a few of his favourites here, some quick some not so quick!! Also, because every student lives on rice or pasta, I decided to include amounts and measurements for this too! TFLx


P.S. This was also a bit inspired by Jane Deans album in a recent issue of Scrapbook Inspirations, also one here on the Maya Road blog check it out too!

9 comments:

SusieJ said...

What a wonderful Mum you are! It's gorgeous CC.
I haven't gone quite that far - have done him a box of basics foodwise and a box of equipment (thank goodness for Tesco essentials!), including a sandwich toaster, now it's up to him. He's still on an island off Croatia - due to go to Bristol on Friday - don't know what sort of state he'll be in after a week of partying!
Sue xx

CoventryAnn said...

I love this, and those papers are gorgeous. I've got a year to make mine for DD1, maybe i'll start now! :)

peata said...

very cool mini.
love the papers. i want...lol
.
making mini albums
mini album blog

Anonymous said...

What a great idea...Mgt.

dagbird2001 said...

wow cc this is lovely.
Lets hope ds uses it...lol
xx

Hi I'm Maria... said...

what a great idea CC, love the book, maybe do one for DD as she hopes to get her own place soon...

maria x

Sue said...

Fab book!! Never mind giving it away ..i want to make one for me :D

voodoo vixen said...

This is fab Carolyn, I love it!! Love the cover with the fun toast and cutlery and amazingly, they do cook for themselves once they realise how much eating from take aways costs!!

Ali said...

Hi Carolyn, this is a fab book, gorgeous! You have inspired me to start making my own mini albums - they are waiting on the shelf for me lol, Alison x