Tuesday, 20 October 2009

Happy Halloween plaque


I know, I know, now it is Tuesday already! That's the trouble with preparing the Christmas Countdown, I cannot blog what I am making!! I told you we had visitors for the weekend too, so that took up my time and I am busy preparing for a craft fair at a friends house like I did last year, all in all, busy, busy, busy!!

Anyway, during my blog rolling, trawling the net for inspiration and ideas for the Christmas countdown, I visited this blog by Leah Fung, (loads of cool videos!) I must have visited it before as it was already in my favourites, (that's where I start my inspiration, check out all those favourites you have bookmarked for a later date and not been back to!!) Anyway, her guest this week made this cute Halloween banner using some Pink Persimmon stamps. As soon as I saw them, I knew I would make little Scottie Dog Christmas cards this year, so then I Google searched them to see if I could get them over here and found them at Mod Scraps, reduced!!! I nipped off there straight away and made a purchase and have just had a little play, making my version of the Halloween banner.

At Christmas time, when people give port and cheese or wine in wooden boxes, I always beg the wooden boxes off all the family. The one I have on my desk is sectioned and it had an acrylic slide in lid. I had kept the lid and never used it, so I trotted it out for this project as the background instead of chipboard. I knew it would be unsafe to Cropadile the acrylic, even with heating it as I have shown before, as it was very brittle, so I had to think of a way to hang the banner up. I decided to use a piece of cardboard from a pizza box and then spayed it with a cream metallic Maya mist. On top of that I added a page from a dictionary I picked up at the second hand book shop for £1! Bargainous! I matted and layered this with a few scraps of orange paper to add more colour. I stamped the banner using Orange chalk eye ink and cut them out with zig zag scissors. I stamped the Scottie dog on white card and added his orange coat and bow. I used the Studio Calico font I had fro the title as I was being good not ordering the Pink Persimmon one!! I added a few scary stamps of spiders and skeletons and one that looks like stitching. I also embellished it with a few orange gems, black dew drops and a Prima flower with a K&Co satin brad. Once this part of the banner was done. I punched holes in the card and threaded through some wire to hang it with. I also punched holes for ribbon so the banner looked like it was threaded up. Now the banner was complete. I added lots of silicone glue to the back and mounted the whole thing on to the acrylic sheet! Voila! Completed banner hung up with wire! I like all her other ideas using this set too, so will be giving them a go! her blog is here.
I will try to post a few more Christmas countdown sneaks in the next few days! Keep checking back! TFLx

2 comments:

SusieJ said...

Cool plaque CC.
Sue xx

Amy's Stocking Stuffers said...

The little Scottie dog banner is so cute! I love that it's not the traditional scary witches and goblins, but still looks like "Halloween"!