Sunday, 11 October 2009

Kraft envelopes - tutorial


I am awaiting my next Studio Calico kit which contains some Maya Road Kraft envelopes. They look rather fab and I have a whole host of uses I thought I could put them to, so I decided I would have a go at making my own! I made two types. one from brown kraft paper and one from a sheet of Bazzill kraft cardstock. I decided to try and get two envelopes out of one sheet of 12 x 12 to make them more economical. For a template I deconstructed an A5 brown envelope and then scaled it down to my own version. You basically need a flap along one edge and the bottom and then I wanted some sort of decorative edge to the opening flap. I wanted the envelope about 5"x3" with a half inch flap along the bottom and down the side. The decorative top flap was slightly deeper to allow it to be rounded (I drew around my double sided tape reel for the shape!) I scored along all the fold lines using my scoreboard.
I used my corner rounding punch to round the corners on the lower and side flap, the I took off the punch edging strip, so I could use the same punch to make a scallop around the decorative top flap. My corner punch makes little indentations when you use it as a scallop punch, which gave me the marks to use the Cropodile for eyelet holes for more decoration.I then inked the edges of the whole template using a chalk eye ink pad in dark brown.
For the fastening, I wanted to use cardboard washers and linen thread. I punched four discs out of kraft cardstock using a small circle punch, glued them together and then inked the edges. I then used my Cropadile to punch a hole and then fasten them in position on the flap and on the front of the envelope with an eyelet.
Finally I stuck the envelope together using double sided tape along the base flap and the side flap.
The linen thread is tied around one washer and the wound around the other in a figure of eight to fasten.
I have used some already on layouts to conceal hidden journaling and extra photo's as well as mini albums. You could make a mini album from a whole set of them!
In these credit crunch times, why not make a set out of brown paper? I did and just mad sure I used two layers in the areas that would take the most strain! TFLx
P.S. Check this out here! Fab job Nicole what an inspiration! Also here here and here by Maggie Holmes!

2 comments:

Scrappy~Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing that tutorial :)

sue-bubbles said...

A wonderful tutorial CC...I loved the look of these envelopes in the SC kit (I really will have to join up again!), and now I will be able to cobble up my own! Thanks for the inspiration as always CC!
Sue x