Tuesday, 27 October 2009

Well I am all cooked out!!!


I have had a bit of a tricky day, cooking wise, perfecting one of the Christmas countdown projects "Cowgirl cookies!" An idea from the internet, mentioned on the "Cheap and cheerful christmas gifts " thread over on UKs. Being a former cookery teacher, I did think this would be a simple exercise, but things always turn out to be tricky! I was also baking a little Nigella number, in preparation for my "Wii bowling" night tonight with a few girls! (Just been practising bowling and my arm is giving me gyp already!!) Anyway, I digress, ass usual. Back to the Cowgirl cookies. I bought Kilner jars and pink smarties and even a set of measuring cups as the recipe was American, but I had not got everything else, so I nipped off to Morrisons to get the ingredients first thing this morning, plus I did not have enough ground almonds for the Nigella Clementine cake. I returned and having boiled my leftover mandarins for 2hrs, as per Nigella, yes, that's right, 2 hours I de-pipped them and blitzed them in the liquidiser. I added all the other ingredients and baked it in an 8" tin as I did not have a 21cm tin. It was a tight squeeze, but I managed! Instead of taking an hour it took an hour and a half and despite covering it with greaseproof, it does look a little sun tanned. No probs, I shall dust it with icing sugar!! Back to the cookie mix. I forgot to buy caster sugar, so had to nip back to the supermarket to get some, I could scream!! Measured it all out and there was loads!! Mixed it in the mixer and despite it seeming a bit sloppy spooned it on to the tray to bake. Well, I did not have my glasses on, or I can't work with 'cups' for measuring, but sufice it to say it ran everywhere, I had one tray of crisp sludge!! It all had to be deposited in the bin!! I had only added 1/3 of a cup of flour instead of 1 and 1/3!!! Duh!!! Anyway. I did just have enough smarties left to scale it back and measure in cups and convert the whole recipe to ounces and then scale it down to half quantity!! They have just come out of the oven and they are fine! Phew!! And this quarter scale quantity does layer and fit into my Kilner jars!! You see ladies, I have taken all the hard work out of it for you. My kitchen is a bomb site, I am pooped but we have 24 cookies to sample tonight and a yummy clementine cake. Just need to pop up to the craftroom and dress up my Kilner jar a little, to make it more me!! Phew! TFLx
P.S. Enjoyed my crop last night, met some lovely ladies and had a chat and did a little bit of crafting!! I will try harder to make more next time!! Thanks to Sue for organising it! x

1 comment:

jackie(worcs) said...

Love the look for your countdown projects so far CC. Intrigued by the Cowgirl Cookies!
Jackie :-)