Tuesday, 17 November 2009

Project 17 - A Christmas Apron

Whilst browsing through a magazine recently, I came across the advert for this Vintage apron from John Lewis. My mum is always wearing an apron and has asked for some new ones for Christmas, but I thought it would be nice to make her a kit up for an easy sew apron she could make herself. The fabric reminds me a bit of Cath Kidston, whom I am always raving about! And I may make her one up in that, but there are loads of fabrics out there for you to choose from and suit them to the person's personality! A kit is a great gift if you are not a sewer and better to make a little decorated pack up with trimmings and thread and present it nicely. Cheaper than £15 pounds too!
Last year you remember I made a Christmas apron using a vintage pattern I bought from the USA on E bay. I also made Cath Kidston aprons using this vintage pattern I bought on a French antique market.This year a friend gave me a piece of Christmas fabric she had bought at a craft fayre and asked me to make her the apron as she does not sew. That's another gift you could give! Your time and expertise. I used the vintage pattern above and made her this! She was delighted!
However you do it, think about making a Christmas apron! I have even started wearing one for crafting! Saves getting glue and ink on my clothes!! How about a craft apron then?? Iron some scraps of fabric onto Bondaweb and cut out a design, then iron it on the front of the apron! There you are, personalised!!! I sew, so I can applique around the edge using a small zig zag stitch, but you don't have to! Maybe you embroider and could buy an apron and embroider a message on the pocket. Loads of ideas! And don't forget the quick apron you could make out of a tea towel as described last year! Check out the link at the bottom of this post to 52 free apron patterns! Now what's your excuse????

December Daily - Day 17

You can just about make out a clear page from a Papermania acrylic album that I have applied a rub on to, in cream. This could be used for the 16th or the 17th as extra space. Behind it is the page labelled 17, made from a plastic cover from a notebook. I stuck a piece of patterned paper on it using some silicone glue. You see, don't throw anything away!!! This I trimmed with a Making Memories fabric tag from their Fa-la-la range to add some texture and another 3D tree from Anna Griffin.
Drop by tomorrow for another crafting project! TFLx
Updated to add just found this link for 52 free apron patterns!

1 comment:

Rosemary said...

Great idea to make up a kit for the apron.

Love the page too.

Rosemary, Shimelle's Class