Thursday, 21 January 2010

More pennants

The light has been so poor that all my photo's have needed flash recently, anyway, you will be able to see the details even if the colours are a little confused!
This pennant has a handmade flower on it, made from some pages of a vintage dictionary. I have made flowers similar to this before, but this is slightly different. I used a plain circle punch and punched loads of circles and then clipped all around the edge, through all the layers, using my heavy duty snippers. (I have a pair of Fiskars that cut wire and everything and I have had them for year, not sure they still do them, but they are useful. Their short stubby blades cut through chipboard, wire and lots of layers of paper with ease.) Put a large brad through the middle, using a Cropodile, then start rotating the layers and scrunching the edges. I had to have an element of vintage on here!!
The chipboard elements are sprayed with a mixture of Maya Mists just like the the background or the scallop pennants. The technique I discovered here, I think is my favourite. I had a packet of Sassafras Paper Whimsies in an SC kit, but I thought they were too flat and was struggling to use them. On this pennant I had decided to create texture using my embossing machine and had just embossed the yellow paper with the large dots Sissix texture folder when I hit upon the idea to emboss the flower. As the large dots were out of scale for the flower, I decided on the small Swiss Dots folder. I placed the flower inside and whizzed it through. When it came out, I loved the texture, but it was not obvious, so I decided to swipe my trusty dark brown chalk eye ink pad over the top to just highlight the dots. The flower still lacked dimension, so I snipped each petal further in with my scissors, almost to the centre, which meant I could curve the sides down to give each petal some depth. I love this effect and will definitely be doing this again!
This pennant I wanted to add fabric, to reflect my love of sewing. The fabric is some vintage 1950's fabric and I ripped a small strip, so that I would get those lovely frayed edges to add texture. The strip was slightly larger at one end than the other. Starting at the wide end I placed it under the sewing machine and randomly pleated the fabric as I went along (I plan to do a little video clip on this sometime soon, I use it a lot!) Just keep your fingers out of the way of the needle! Once the strip was pleated, I used a hand needle and thread to stitch some large running stitches along the lower edge, so I could pull the strip up into a circle. I overlapped the ends and fastened the thread securely. I threaded some Bakers Twine through an oversize button to make the centre. I threaded some wire through the holes to create a stem and turn the button into a brad and then threaded the stem of the brad through the centre of the fabric flower to cover the hole in the middle. The wire stems give you more to anchor the embellishment with to make the silicone even more secure.
More wire for the body of the butterfly. Take a length of florist fine wire and wrap the middle over a 'pokey tool' and then twist. Thread on a few tiny buttons using the wire to sew with, to make the antenna, wrap each wire separately around the 'pokey tool' in a spiral effect. TFLx

3 comments:

tea_bag said...

Wow so much detail I love it I have added you on my blog and following you now

alma x

Hi I'm Maria... said...

WOW it's lovely CC, love the idea with the pattern paper, embossing folders and chalk pads, (have all those so will have to have a go, thanks)...

hope your keeping well...

maria x

SusieJ said...

Love all these different techniques you've been using CC.
Sue xx