Sunday, 21 February 2010

2010 Banner Trend

I was reading Scrapbook Update and it was reporting that 2010 looks like being a "Banner Year." They are appearing everywhere. Studio Calico had a banner paper in their December kit (that I have yet to start and use!"!) Their gallery had several great examples. This layout by Maggie Holmes and this layout by Nicole Samuels, this one by Steph Howell.
Chipboard banners have appeared too. I used a Maya Road chipboard album to make my banner here. Now there are canvas banners too, (there is one in the next Studio Calico kit) which you can even print on to. Also banner stamps are appearing as well as banner stickers (Jenni Bowlin ones in the next SC kit too!) and banners on patterned papers from Websters pages and October afternoon.
I decided to dig out my Pink Persimmon banner stamps that I bought and used on my Halloween plaque here, and scraped some Easter photo's from last year in Germany, with my latest SC kit which is very vibrant. I bought an Orange Maya mist and spice Marmalde distress ink to complement the kit and dug out some wooden decorations I bought in Germany last year that I used as stencils for the mist. Here is the end result.
The pennants are stamped and cut out, then edged with distress ink. I stitched them to a narrow ribbon that I also coloured using the distress ink so it matched. The two egg shapes worked well as stencils then I added a bit of doodling. The embellishment is another Paper whimsie that I embossed with the swiss dots folder (as in this tutorial here) and inked with Spiced Marmnalde and then hand curled. This add texture and dimension. An edge from a Sassafrass paper twirled into a flower centre and a Vintage Findings button in a contrasting colour, just stops the layout being all one colour! I stitched the chipboard alpha across the middle to hold in place. Some Martha Stewart butterfly punch outs, just add a little more texture.
Here is another use of the banner, in a door name plaque I made last October.So embrace the banner trend and give it a go! Cut them out of paper or fabric. TFlx

4 comments:

furrypig said...

Your layout is amazing! so many techniques and trends on one page yet it remains simple and stylish thanks so much for showing it to me! Loving the banner idea those stamps are great.

Crafty Dawn said...

All these look wonderfull love the masking on the LO lots of banners to come then I look fwd to seeing them

Love Dawn xx

tea_bag said...

Fab LO I never knew they did that in Germany how pretty it looks hugs alma xx

sue-bubbles said...

Oh your banner projects are just lovely and so inspiring CC! I think I might just have to have a go!
Sue x