Thursday, 3 June 2010

You know I said I was gonna scrap yesterday?.......

well I didn't!!! But i did get involved in more heritage stuff, and got sucked in! It started with this photo
This is my sons great grandfather on my husbands side, (MIL's dad.) He was in the first world war and I know he was in the Flying Corps before it became the RAF, but that's all I know. I decided to log on to the web to find out more and managed to find his medal records in the archives that you could download for £2.
This told me that he had started his service in France in 1915 but it also told me that he started out in the Northumberland Fusiliers as a soldier in the army. I started to research about them and found their museum is at Alnwick Castle. I found a photo of their uniform and cap here

So then I found this photo and the uniform matched.

So then I set off wondering how you could switch from one service to another and that led me off on a voyage of discovery! I found that he learned to fly at Reading and that they were very sparsely trained! There was a great loss of life of the early pilots. It appears he may have flown out of St Omer in France near Calais as his squadron was stationed there.
I have been knee deep in ancestry since then and am sat here at the computer reading up about World War One. I have also printed off his brother's medal card and found he had a DSO and MC and was acting Captain in the Duke of Wellington Regiment later to become the fifth battalion West Riding Regiment. I have printed off records of his service from the London Gazette where he had several stints as acting captain. Not yet worked out where or how he was awarded his DSO or MC yet. He also served in France and his regiment was involved int he famous battle of the Somme and Ypres.

Remarkably both the brothers survived the Great War. TFLx

3 comments:

jeanie g said...

Thank you for this extemely interesting post I was enthralled by all your detecive work. More please.... jeanieg.xx

SusieJ said...

I'm not surprised you got sidetracked CC this is fascinating stuff. Amazing that they both survived the war.
Sue xx

jackie(worcs) said...

The stories behind the photos are so intriging! Well done with all your research.
Jackie :-)