Monday, 19 July 2010

Holidays?? Young children to amuse?????

I have just been setting a little 'crafting' holiday project for my school pupils, based on the book Flat Stanley by Jeff Brown and I thought I might share it here too. If you have young ones to amuse over the holiday, why not give it a go! The story is about a boy who wakes up one morning flat, but as a result of this he can fold up and goes on lots of adventures. You can find a Flat Stanley template on the net, colour him and laminate him and then fold him up for your child and take him on day trips or holidays. You can thread him on a ribbon to wear around your neck even! He needs a passport, so I made one from here then all he has to do is travel! Your child can write about trips or days out or family holidays  on a postcard or even build up a whole mini album of cards! That's what mine will do and we will share when we return to school in September! If they are not going away, there are fun activities at home that can be written about, like baking cookies or a visit to the library or a museum locally or a picnic in the park or a bus trip to the seaside! Collect all sorts of memorabilia like leaflets and maps and store them in a brown envelope. There are so many possibilities! Looking forward to my wall display in the classroom in September! Just thought I would share!!

5 comments:

SusieJ said...

What a great idea CC.
You must share what the children come up with in September - not that I'm wishing your holidays away!lol
Sue xx

Heather said...

what a great idea! a bit like taking it in turns to take the class teddy on holiday. I bet the classroom wall will look amazing next term!!

Dawn said...

I loved this book when I was a child - what a good idea

stressed said...

we have that flat stanley book my dd loves it, what a good idea.

thank you

Sall said...

OHHHH such wonderful ideas and with anyluck this might just reduce the bickering over how many games consoles are required and which type is best....thank you so much for sharing this idea