Monday, 23 August 2010

Journaling, do you get it???

I remember when I first started scrapbooking, I found the journaling the most difficult part and my early pages do not contain any!!! I can also remember posting on UKs saying "Please help me with journaling!" It all felt too personal to write down. As I have grown to love this hobby of scrapbooking, I have realised how important the journaling is and we have a very selective memory that sometimes forgets things that we think we will remember forever! So I know it has become more important to me, to get the story down.
I know I was going to have a new start, but I just wanted to share with you a personal piece of journaling I came across yesterday, that I had written when MIL died in 2003. She died suddenly, quite unexpectedly and the children were so much younger and just not prepared for it. I was not prepared, as their mother, how to approach it either I realised. In a fit of anguish, I had written this whole side of A4 and it had been very therapeutic to get it off my chest and leave it on the paper. I could then move on. What I notice now, when I read it, is that my approach to this death has been very different. I intend to type it up and scrapbook it, with a photo of MIL, something I can do to reach into the past and connect with how I was feeling and that is helping me with today. It is quite long so I will post it tomorrow. TFLx

1 comment:

CoventryAnn said...

I am so in agreement with yu over journalling Caroline... without it pages seem unfinished to me. I see people fretting about boxes full of unidentified photos, and I just don't want the photos of my family to be like that. It's funny, but now i've been scrapbooking for over 6 years, after picking the photo, it is the title and journalling that come to me next, then I make the page.