Thursday, 18 November 2010

Christmas Countdown Project 18 - Enamel Jar labels

My sister brought me some of these ceramic jar labels back from France in the summer, they are lovely! I have added them to my storage jars around the kitchen.
You can buy similar one's here but I thought it would be nice to make some!

 I have found two types on the web, one using Fimo and stamping into it with small letter stamps. Punch a hole for the string before hardening. Varnish to complete. (Sorry can't find the link now!!)
The other idea came from here and this is the one I am going to try!

You will need:
Tim Holtz Idea-ology Philosophy Tags - Metal
PVA glue
Cut and dry foam
Sand paper
White acrylic paint
Heat gun or melt pot
UTEE
Stazon ink
Number stamps
Versamark ink pad

1. Sand the back of the Tim Holtz Ideology tag and using some cut and dry foam, paint with PVA glue mixed with white acrylic paint and let it dry.

2. Using Stazon ink and a numeral stamp (mine were from Studio Calico) stamp the number you want onto the white painted surface. Allow to dry.
3. Coat the disc with Versamark ink and then sprinkle the UTEE over the surface. Put the spare UTEE back in the pot, then heat the disc with a heat gun or place in the melt pot to heat from underneath until the UTEE has melted completely. Repeat with two more coats of Versamark and UTEE until the required finish is achieved. Leave to cool.
4. Thread on to Bakers twine and tie around the neck of your jar. Repeat with as many numbers as you want! I love them! I will be making more!! You could make spice jar labels this way using tiny type font stamps, what a great gift!
If they are not needing to be waterproof, you could try circles of chipboard and coat them with glossy accents to finish, for a cheaper option.

Join me tomorrow for another crafting project. TFLx

No comments: