Friday, 19 November 2010

Christmas Countdown Project 19 - An album gift


I am soooooooo very lucky to be flying off to Paris today, just with my sister, for a weekend away, that was a last minute decision! I have only ever been to Paris once and that was a day trip with my sister when I was 21! We were staying in Rouen at the time, where she was studying and we managed a brief trip to the Louvre and I remember being very disappointed with the size of the Mona Lisa when we had queued up to see it for so long!! Anyway, I have decided to make an album and I thought it would make a great gift idea if you know anyone planning a similar celebration or occasion.

You will need:
A children's board book from a charity shop
Some plain Calico fabric
Patterned papers to match your theme (I used 7 Gypsies Conservatory papers)
Brown Paper bags and file folders for odd pages to add variety
Ink jet transfer paper used this earlier in a project here
Images of your chosen theme from sites like The Graphics Fairy I chose Paris
Scans of your own items printed on scrapbook paper or card (optional)
White card stock
Kraft card stock
Ink jet printer and scanner
Sewing machine with a zip foot
Cropadile Big Bite and large eyelets
Extra Large book rings (Woodware)
Archival ink black, red
French stamps or similar

1. Begin by saving some of the images from your chosen theme, by clicking on them to open them and then saving to your computer. Print them out mirror image on the Ink jet transfer paper, ready to iron on your fabric covers. (I saved and printed some vintage views of Paris from the graphics fairy.) If you did not read how I used this paper before, please read the post here for more info in step by step.
2. Peel the outer covering from the pages of the children's board book and cut them into even sized individual pages ready to be recovered. Measure the page size.
3. Cut some pieces of cotton Calico fabric, big enough to encase one of the board book pages with and extra 1.5cm for seam around all the edges.
4. Position the transfer paper over each piece of fabric and transfer the design using the iron.
5. Pin two pieces of fabric together around the outside of a page of the thick card, encasing it inside. Stitch close to the cardboard using the zipper foot on your sewing machine and moving the needle to the extreme left hand edge. Trim the seam edges using scissors for a distressed look.
I made three fabric pages like this. One for the front cover, one for the back and one for the middle of the album.
6. Cover both sides of some more chipboard pages using a glue stick and some of the 7Gypsies Conservatory papers. Trim the edges with a knife, distress with a file and then ink if you require an aged look.
7. For some extra special pages, I used some of my stock of brown paper bags that I collected on previous trip to France and made some pages with pockets. 
8. For journaling cards, I printed a blank Postcard back from the Graphics Fairy on to some thick white card stock and cut them out. I will include one for each day we are in Paris. I tucked them into the paper bag pocket.
I also printed off some old French receipts to use as extra journaling cards or for decoration.
9. I scanned some pictures from an old 1946 illustrated French Dictionary I have and printed them out onto MME card stock. These I trimmed to use as page headings.
10. I used another of my Pottery Barn file folders to make another folded page, as I realised they would go with the french theme.
11. Punch each page with a Cropadile big bite and add some large eyelets to the fabric pages and the paper bag pages for extra strength.

Complete the covers, by stamping some additional french images using black and red ink. Thread the pages onto the book rings. You can trim the book rings by making some French style charms, using shrink plastic as shown in this older post here. I am contemplating whether to spray the fabric with some Caramel apple glimmer mist too to add to the aged look. I will add more lace and ribbons to the rings, once the album is completed. I think this will make a great gift for my sister this Christmas, as a memento of our trip! See you all when I get back! TFLx
3.1.11 - Updated to include photo's of the completed album here. TFLx

5 comments:

SusieJ said...

Green with envy at the thought of a weekend in Paris.
Snap with the Mona Lisa - it's tiny!
Great album idea - I'm sure your sister will love it!
Have a fabulous weekend.
Sue xx

Highland Monkey's said...

What a lovely idea. Really must try and do this sometime.

Janice xxxx said...

That is one beeeyoootiful album!

Donna said...

What a great album! I love all of the graphics that you chose, and using the file folder is an excellent idea! Hope you had a great time in Paris! It's my very favorite place to visit!

PetraB said...

A fabulous album - it captures the spirit of Paris.