Thursday, 25 November 2010

Christmas Countdown Project 24 - Letter to Santa

I cannot believe that these twenty four projects are now at an end with this, the final one. When I started this year's countdown, I had a few ideas in place, but had done zero crafting for so long, due to circumstances, I was worried I would be able to make it through to the end! But  here we are and I have made all but a couple of the projects on the list! What better project to end with, than a letter to Santa! For the 24th of the month, it would be great to leave out on Christmas eve, with the sherry and the mince pie!
You will need:
Offcuts of linen fabric
Offcuts of patterned fabric (I used Cath Kidston)
Embroidery Thread and needle
Sewing Machine and thread
Pinking Shears
Long craft pins
Mini Christmas clothes peg
A6 card and C6 envelope for a template

1. Cut out some linen fabric and cotton fabric, slightly larger than the A6 card blank. On the linen piece, draw your words carefully with a pencil, ready to embroider with Back stitch. Press the fabric then sew together using the sewing machine and trim the edges with Pinking Shears.
2. Open out the C6 envelope as a template or use a square of fabric roughly 23cm x 23cm, cut an identical shape out of the patterned fabric. Lay the A6 card diagonally across the centre of the fabric and work out how to fold the envelope up, so you can work out where to embroider the title "Dear Santa."
3. Embroider the Dear Santa on the linen piece only. press, then stitch to the lin9ing all around the edges and trim with pinking shears.
4. Fold the envelope up and pin together with the decorative pins. If giving this as a gift for a child, you could hand sew the envelope together, being careful not to stitch it shut!
The one that inspired me was closed in a similar fashion to this. I added a handmade by label (in french) that I bought in Paris to show it was embroidered by hand!
Slide the card inside the envelope and hold it closed with the decorated clothes peg. A simple decoration that says it all "I've been good." Let's hope we all get left a lovely gift this Christmas! Thanks to all who have joined me for this year's countdown. Please leave a comment, I'd love to hear from you. Let me know if you make any items and link me up to them, so I can leave a comment. Merry Christmas to everyone! Thanks for letting me share this year's ideas with you. TFLx

2 comments:

SusieJ said...

Well done CC on the 24 projects - I've looked at them all and you've had some brilliant ideas. I'll let you know if I do make any but to be truthful I'm not feeling very Christmassy at all.
Hugs,
Sue xx

CoventryAnn said...

Love this idea, I might include it in my JYC for this year.