Thursday, 4 November 2010

Christmas Countdown Project 4 - Shortbread Camel/Reindeer/Scottie dog

For some reason, shortbread seems to be linked to Christmas, I am not sure why, but this time of year sees lots of tins of Scottish shortbread appearing in the shops. Last year I made some santa biscuits using Gingerbread hearts, this year I have decided to make shortbread using my new cutters. In Germany I bought a camel - from the nativity scene set and a reindeer and then, because of the scottish connection and I have a scottie dog stamp set, I purchased a Scottie dog cutter from Ebay. I would make them nearer the time so they are fresh but why not have a go early, just to check, I am sure they will be snapped up!!!
You Will Need:
6oz (150g) Plain Flour
4oz (100g) Butter (best for flavour) or margarine
2oz (50g) Caster Sugar
Combine all the ingredients using a food processor or by hand until the mixture comes together in a clump.

Roll out 1/4 inch thick and stamp out the shapes you have chosen. Place on baking parchment on a shallow baking tray one inch apart.
Bake for about 15 mins at 170C until light golden colour. Dust lightly with extra caster sugar whilst still hot (optional) Transfer to a cooling rack when they have cooled slightly and are more firm.
As an alternative, why not replace a tablespoon of the flour with a tablespoon of cocoa powder for some chocolate shortbread reindeer and you could ice them with red noses using red glace icing!
Here are some gift bag ideas;
Card cellophane bag with stamped star tag and heart cookie cutter decoration.

Striped gift bag from Melody Ross, with embroidered reindeer ribbon.

Cellophane card bag with Bakers twine.

Striped gift bag with German Merry Christmas ribbon.

Wooden toadstool cut from a tree garland, clipped on the bag with a decorated peg.

Stamped Scottie dog tag and decorated peg.
Join me tomorrow for another project. TFLx

No comments: