Saturday, 29 January 2011

Negative space

I have rediscovered my punches! Not sure whether it is to do with my desk re-organisation or what, but I'm having fun! What intrigues me is not only the punch out, but the negative space in the paper that is left! I noticed this when I was scrapping. I tend to put my SC kit I am working on, into a RUB box as I am working with it. AS I use product I pop it back in the box, it keeps it tidy. I had punched the circle out of the ledger paper and as I tossed it back in the box, it landed so the number shone through the hole! That gave me the inspiration! I rummaged through the box and came up with all the small pieces I had left over, after having worked with this kit on several layouts!

I had bits with 'binding edge' punch on, and 'postage stamp' punches and some where I had hand cut a scallop edge around the pattern on the paper. I tossed them all on to the page literally and looked at how they fell. I arranged them slightly making sure they all overlapped and that there were interesting things showing through the punch outs. When I was happy, I secured each piece with a tiny dot of adhesive from my tape pen. I don't stick them down or when you sew, the needle gets all gunged up with glue. I also like that the edges can be raised to introduce shadows, so after I am done I always flick up all the edges!

The final step was to sew vertical lines of straight stitch up and down the page in a zig zag fashion to randomly secure every piece. I located two pieces of paper with stamp punch outs, one for the title letters and one for the journaling. I like that the punch outs are not regular as I did not anticipate using this so called "waste" of the punching process!
Finally I stitched my photo in place with some hand cut doilies from patterned paper (which I flicked up the edges!). I have created a layout based on one piece of Basic Grey background paper and a lot of waste bits! No extra embellishments required, the detail is all there! It is one of my favourite layouts of the moment!
The photo is DS1 at my SIL's wedding aged 2. The journaling reads " Before we knew you had Dyspraxia, your language was your own, but we knew it!" TFLx
P.S. Alyson (crafting to stay sane) I posted your RAK prize yesterday, enjoy!

2 comments:

SusieJ said...

What a fabulous LO and a great "technique". May well have to try this.
Hugs,
Sue xx

Sandra said...

totally amazing ... as always