Friday, 4 February 2011

Valentine "Love Notes" Project



Here is a little whimsy you could make for a loved one, or for yourself to keep little love notes from 'whoever' in!! It has a canvas picture on the front and contains several vintage Victorian Valentines, printed on card. The inspiration struck me, when I was unable to throw away a lovely K&Co box from some chipboard butterflies! Well to be precise, I put it in the craft room bin and there it sat for three days torturing me! I was sure it was too good to throw away so it got up cycled!!
First I removed the frame on the top of the lid to reveal the box in two halves. I kept this frame to use as a base later.

I wanted the box to be hinged at the side, so I cut down two corners of the lid, so I could secure this side to the box base as the hinge and it would still open, like a book.
Cover the flat base and both halves of the box with patterned paper of your choice. I chose a vintage red spot paper to go with the vintage images. Stick the flat base to the underneath of the box with extra strong double sided tape.
Punch a hole in the opening side of the box lid with a Cropadile and thread a ribbon loop through to the outside as a 'pull' so you can open the box.
For the cards, choose some copyright free vintage graphics from the Internet, like I did from the Graphics Fairy and print them on a mixture of card stock and sticky back canvas.
To age the edges of the sticky back canvas for the lid decoration, I used an ink blending tool with some fired brick distress ink. I also cut out some vintage hearts and inked their edges, as well as inking a strip of sticky back canvas to make a rose.

(Tip: I have a small strip of baking tray liner double sided on a cheap baking tray, that I can whip on and off my desk quickly for inking edges with distress, without making a big mess! I call it a 'portable inking station!')
I stitched some vintage lace around the edge of the canvas card that I was using to decorate the box lid. Then I threaded some red ribbon through the lace and tied a bow, before sticking this on the box lid.
Now it is up to you! You can write whatever on each of the vintage valentine cards inside and add a few chocolate hearts and the fabric rose etc. A simple but very cute little gift "To my love!" Let me know what you think! TFLx

6 comments:

Scrappy~Sarah said...

wow that is a fabulous bit of upcycling, I keep many things to do 'something' with later.....maybe one day. Thanks for the tips :) esp the hinging bit :)

Sandra said...

It was a gorgeous box to start with, but oohhh you made it even better. Its truely gorgeous .. and a big thank you for the link, I'll be using that, that's for sure. Enjoy your weekend x

Michelle said...

What gorgeous notes! I love ur ideas! Thanks for sharing such a gr8 blog 2...I hope u don't mind but I've blogged about u today too!!!! Have a gr8 weekend!!!

Leanie said...

Gorgeous item there, will have to make one to move lovenotes out of the home file into!
I have aportable inking station too - I stuck my craftsheet to chipboard lol

misteejay said...

Such a stunning project - beautiful

Toni :o)

Louise said...

i popped across from UKS. Your box is beautiful decorated, a lovely idea.