Monday, 31 October 2011

As rare as hens teeth!

We went to Southport and the tide was in!!!!! Now if you know Southport, you will know that even the pier does not reach the sea!! Lol! I had to get out of the car in the rain and photograph it! I think this is the first time in 50 years I have ever seen it!! You can see how pleased dad was!
I took mum home to Southport to stay for a night in a hotel to revisit old haunts, in the town where she was born. It was her 80th birthday present from me. She had not been for a long time and neither had i come to that. Childhood holidays on the beach visiting grandma, were my last memories and she died in 1976, so it was a real trip down memory lane for me too. We had a room overlooking the boating lake....
and I was able to photograph the railings here....
that mum was sat on in this old photo here....
We walked down Lord Street 


and I particularly wanted to visit the Wayfarers arcade where I remembered there used to be a great craft type shop. I bought some vintage postcards of Southport.
We went to Boothroyds and check out that sky colour!!!! Not photoshopped!
We sat down and took it all in.
We were able to visit my grandparents grave
and photograph the convalescent hospital on the promenade, where my grandad was a hospital blue after the first world war, recovering from his injuries and where he met my grandmother.



This is the uniform they wore, which was why they were called hospital blues. We had a great couple of days. They really enjoyed the trip down memory lane. I just need to make the mini album for her now, of all our memories.
Today, I have no voice and we are back to school tomorrow :( Great timing! Not! TFLx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a lovely time for your Mum - bet she enjoyed it more than any gift you could have bought her....Mgt.