Wednesday, 2 November 2011

Christmas Countdown Project 2 - Door Hanger


When I was young, I loved having one of these on my bedroom door, saying "keep out!" on one side and "come in!" on the other. I have developed it a little further as a gift idea, for my that reluctant teenager there is the "please tidy" and "tidy yay!" option...
or there is the "My room" and "My mess" option!
or just the plain and simple welcome...
Whichever one you choose, they are a lot of fun, maybe you could make up your own.
You will need;
a blank MDF door hanger or cut from thick card (Mine were from a well know auction site)
backing papers in chosen colours
Glue stick
Trimmings and embellishments various
Chipboard alphabet
Glossy accents glue or similar
Paint dabber in toning colour
Chalk eye ink pad in matching colour
File to file the edges - I used Basic Grey precision files


1. Smooth the edges and apply paint with a paint dabber. Leave to dry.
2. Cover the door hanger with glue stick and then place face down on the reverse side of your patterned paper and trim close to the edge with a craft knife. I used a Brayer to get a nice smooth finish without air bubbles. Cut out the door handle hole with the craft knife.
3. Complete the same exercise again for the other side, using a contrasting patterned paper. Leave to dry.
4. File all edges smooth and then ink the edges of the paper with the chalk eye ink pad.
5. Decorate with your chosen embellishments and lettering, using the glossy accents glue to make sure they are secure.
There you are a cheap and easy present to make in next to no time! Give it a go! Join me tomorrow for another crafting project! TFLx

No comments: