Friday, 4 November 2011

Christmas Countdown Project 4 - Shortbread buttons

This idea comes from this blog I found here. I usually make shortbread at Christmas and last year it was shortbread camels, reindeer and Scottie dogs! You will need to make them nearer the time, but why not try this out now! I use my own shortbread recipe.
You Will Need;
6oz Plain Flour
4oz Margarine or butter
2oz Caster sugar
two sizes of plain cookie cutters ( mine are double ended fluted and plain)
a plastic drinking straw
Strawberry laces for the stitching (opt)


1. Place the ingredients in the food mixer/processor or by hand and mix until they start to come together into a ball.
2. Turn out on to a flat surface dusted with caster sugar and roll out until about 1/4 inch thick. Cut out with the larger of the two cutters you have.
Make a light impression with the smaller cutter to leave a line inside the outer edge, but make sure you don't press right through. Use the end of the straw to stamp out the four holes in the centre of the biscuit and then carefully transfer them to a baking tray lined with baking parchment, using a fish slice or palette knife.
3. Place in the oven at about 160 degrees for about 15mins until lightly golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool for a minute or two, before transferring them to a cooling tray.
If the holes have closed up slightly during baking, pierce them with a skewer whilst the biscuit is still warm and malleable. When cool, thread hole with strawberry laces to look like thread! (That's my idea!) 


Have fun designing ways to package them for gifts. I have a Studio Calico button stamp, so I am going to make some card toppers for cellophane bags and put two or three in each bag. 
Join me tomorrow for another crafting project. TFLx

1 comment:

Momma's Ramblings said...

Love the Buttons, soo cute! I just wanted to let you know that I have awarded you the Liebster Award, please stop by my page and check out the details. http://chevymommasramblings.blogspot.com/2011/11/liebster-award-i-am-so-excited-to-tell.html