Friday, 30 December 2011

A New Year coming - A New Project!

I have decided to have a go at project life in 2012. Having completed my December Daily for the last 3 years, I felt this was a good project to tackle! Also having done an album of my 50th year in 2011, next year is hubbys 50th year so that might be a nice way to chart it! DS1 will graduate and DS2 will go to dance school in London, it is also the Olympic year, so I think there will be plenty to talk about!
I first came across this on Ali Edwards blog where she does project 365. There is a specific album and stash available in the US, but I, as usual, am doing my own thing, the cheaper way!
 I have purchased an American Crafts album in size 8.5x11 including 20 page protectors.
I have also purchased various acid free, divided page protectors from myhistory.co.uk in A4 size which are similar. This gives me a variety of pages to work on, using journaling cards of various sizes.

As you can see the American crafts dividers are slightly wider and not as tall but the whole thing stays inside the album cover, so I am happy.
I have searched the web for ideas and found some good sites for advice. Stephanie Howell gave some great links here on her blog, as well as sharing her title page. She mentioned Creativity prompt where I have downloaded free journaling cards, (which come in adobe format or PNG files if you have photoshop) and printed them out on card using my Epson Printer. (Adobe reader is free on the Internet if you don't already have it.)


Although I have this printer, sometimes the photo quality prints are not brilliant, so I decided a stand alone photo printer was a good investment. I won this Canon Selphy printer on eBay for £5 and it prints some excellent quality prints. 


The ink ribbons and designated canon paper has been an investment, but if you are to keep up with this project, you need instant access to your photographs. I will still print out some photo collages using Picasa on A4 sheets of photo paper too, but I am hoping that my Epson cartridges last a lot longer now I am using this little beauty! I can print 6x4 postcards and also have ordered some credit card sized papers. However, if you create a photo collage within Picasa before printing to the Selphy at 6x4" you can get other variety of sizes too. Picasa also have a free Polaroid frame in their printing options which is great.
Organisation:
The key to this project will be organisation. I have measured all the pocket sizes in my album, and intend to cut a variety of papers to this size ready. I have printed off a whole range of journaling cards as well as getting together some I have in my stash e.g. Smash and Jenni Bowlin.
I have created a folder on my computer in the picture section, where I will place photographs week by week.
I have created a folder in Google Chrome/Internet explorer where I am saving links to sites with tips and help. All the one's Stephanie Linked to for a start, as well as others I have found.
I have a 12x12 bag ready to receive bits and pieces of ephemera from the week, as it happens - receipts, tickets, letters, cards etc. I have another one that is not necessarily week specific to place general items into, that I can dip into in a slow week. Lisa has some good ideas for stimuli on her blog here. She is a designer over on the SC blog and I love her work.
I hope to set aside one session at the end of each week, to document the week. It may be a Sunday but could be a Monday. If I didn't manage to get up to date, I will blog things from the week and print it off at a later date.
I will put together a box of items, like I did for the December Daily, to help me have things to hand that will make the process quick and easy. 
I am going to use my monthly Studio Calico Kit to change the box every month, so new supplies are added, but the journaling bits and bobs will be ongoing.
I hope to blog my progress throughout the year.
Points to mention
I have never worked within this page protector format before.
I have never scrapped a whole week on a double page before.
I have only tackled an album of this length once before and it is behind!!! (But I am working on that!)
I am looking forward to it and would love it if you joined me! Let's document 2012! TFLx

No comments: