Sunday, 22 July 2012

Craft Alert! - An Altered book

I was charged with doing the leaving poem for a member of staff who has been teaching at our school for 18 years. If you have followed me for a long time, you will know I have been known to dabble in poetry, just search poem in the search box on this Blog and you will find some of my humorous verse! This teacher has always done an "ode" for every member of staff who has left over the years, so it was only fitting that we did one for her. I set off with a card, like she does, but then changed after the first verse to this.
I decided to make a mini album in an old book I bought at a charity shop called "Half term adventure" to keep the poem safe and also to make a keepsake for her coffee table afterwards. 
 " Oh no, so it's happened, it could not be worse!
I'm faced with replacing the "Diva" of verse!
I asked all the staff for ideas and now look,
This is not big enough, I needed a book!"
The book even had an illustrated bookplate inside the front cover dating from the 1960's.
Here are a few of the pages. 

I illustrated each verse of the poem with clip art and embellishments to complement the theme.
 As I am in charge of IEP's (special needs) in our school, I even made her one of those!

I enjoyed doing it and when I performed it at the leaving party, it went down a storm! Including my Olympic torch reference, where we handed the torch over to the new Art coordinator!


We had a great time dancing the night away! TFLx
P.S. Sorry about the lack of posting on this blog, I hope to get back to it more now school has broken up, but it has been a very hectic end of term!

6 comments:

Lisa-Jane said...

So lovely to see you back crafting! Gorgeous book.

April Michelle said...

Your bookmlooks great, thanks for sharing.

Merrick Dunphy said...

What a fab little book!

Anonymous said...

A great idea to use old books as the shell for minis.
It looks to be a lovely gift....Mgt.

jeanie g said...

Love your altered book, It will be treasured too I bet.

P'tite Plume said...

Super altered-book!