Thursday, 22 November 2012

Christmas Countdown 2012 Project 22 - Nativity Pop Up

You will need:
1 sheet of 12 x 12 card stock wood grain
1 sheet of 12 x 12 Kraft card stock
1 sheet of 12 x 12 Bazill card stock for backing
Thick card stock to make a box for the cover
Embroidery floss
1 brad
Wood veneer stars
Star punches
Nativity outline shapes cut from a ding bat font

1. Cut the wood grain 12 x 12 sheet into 3 strips of 4 inches wide, concertina fold each into 3 and join along the short sides to make one long strip that will concertina fold to a 4 x 4 size.
2. Cut out the ding bat shapes in Kraft card stock


Arrange along the length of the card stock strip carefully, being sure no piece sticks out over a fold. To add dimension to some elements, create pop ups by cutting a slit and pressing the fold in the opposite direction.
3. I wanted to create dimension by having the angel move up above the stable using a curved slit and a brad.
I also made the start slide up and down by creating a holder for it from some scrap card on the back.
I also cut a window shape out in the back of the stable and glued some black card stock misted with iridescent shine. Add some veneer stars and punched stars to the background.
4. Back the whole display with some card stock.
5. To make the box, I used some embroidery card and stitched a star on the front before assembling.


I made the box slightly bigger than the closed nativity scene after completion, so I knew it would fit.
Use strong tape to fasten the box together.
You can make this as simple or as complicated as you like. I welded some shapes together to create a town scape and made the stable to a size that would also fit in the scene and fold outwards. I added extra layers for some characters to sit in front of others, but you can make it how you wish.
I am really pleased with how it came out and low the subtle colour scheme!
Join me again tomorrow for another Christmas countdown project idea. Why not follow my blog and then you wont miss out on a single project!! TFLx

2 comments:

P'tite Plume said...

Wow very beautiful, i love!

Anne-Marie said...

Hi Caroline, thanks for the lovely comment you left for me :D
I really love your Nativity....what a creative mind you have! I love the way you layered up the figures....gives a lovely depth....and especially your embroidered star....perfect!