Wednesday, 10 April 2013

It's OK to talk about it now..

One of the reasons I have been absent from my blog is this chap
Unfortunately, on our last day away in Venice, my best buddy Barney, our 15 year old terrier cross had a Canine vestibular event (Stroke) and my son, who was at home, rushed him to the emergency vet in the middle of the night. 
The vet tried her best to keep him going until our return later that day and I cried all the way home on the plane, knowing we had an appointment that evening to put him to sleep, however, as we got home and recognised us, he made an effort to stand up and was able to partly regain his balance. With daily steroid injections and a lot of TLC cuddles, he is still with us.


I feel very blessed that we have a chance to spend this extra bonus time with him. He is back on his feet, eating well and back to attempting a very short walk, so with fingers crossed we look forward to spending a bit of extra time with him. When a dog reaches this age, you know the end is inevitable, but it broke my heart that I might have not been there at the end. Today the vet has told us she is happy to not see him daily now and we can go back for our next check up neat Monday.
It does not seem two minutes since he was this big, and both the boys feel very privileged to have shared their childhood with such a loyal and trusted friend. Such a cutie!! When we got him from the rescue centre, he had been dumped in a carrier bag when only a few days old. From a very bad start, to 15 years of love and attention, despite his Addison's disease, he has enjoyed every minute and we have too. I can talk about it now, because he is still here, but I know time is precious. TFLx

7 comments:

Melanie said...

Sorry to hear about your sweet dog. I hope he wil go in peace with all his lovedones around him. Saying goodbey to a dear one is always hard. I hope you can enjoy the last days and give him lots of hugs and love.
Liefs, Melanie

voodoo vixen said...

Oh that had me in tears... I am so glad they managed to keep him going till you got back and now you are being given the opportunity to say a proper goodbye. I hope he continues to recover and enjoy life with you, no matter how long it is. Hugs.

Batraplume said...

Awww... :( Hold on, Barney!!
I hope he will stay with you a long while. Fingers crossed! Please, keep us posted.

Batraplume said...

Awww... :( Hold on, Barney!
I hope he will stay with you for a long while. Fingers crossed! Please, keep us posted.

Sandra said...

It brings tears to my eyes, and I understand your pain and also your love of this beautiful friend. I prey he continues to improve. The love a dog gives is so hard to explain, but they really make our lives better xxx

SueB said...

I have tears in my eyes reading this. I am so delighted you are getting to spend extra time together :) Enjoy every moment, you have given him the most wonderful life and just remember that always. Suzie xxx

Anonymous said...

What a releif that you got back in time. Hope Barney continues to improve & you get to spend some more precious times with him....Mgt.