Friday, 22 November 2013

Christmas Countdown Day 16 Letterpress

Sorry the day job caused an break in the proceedings! Unavoidable I'm afraid! Anyway, off we go again! I don't know about you but my December Daily album is getting very full of cards and is almost ready to go, but there are a few more techniques I want to include and Letterpress is definitely one of them!
I took the recent Letterpress class at Studio Calico and even though I don't have the Lifestyle platform, I did manage to produce some nice little cards for my album with my Cuttlebug, my normal plates, a few shims and some Brilliance ink. I experimented with thick Letterpress paper and thin, as well as watercolour paper , black card and some scrap Kraft coloured card stock off the back of some 12 x 12 paper pads. With ink or just blind, the effects are great!
I used the Studio Calico Letterpress plates for all of these designs and I have built up a little collection. I got the best results for white ink on black card using a Cats Eye pigment ink in white, but also tried Silver.

If you don't own any letterpress plates but do have embossing folders, you can try a false Letterpress technique by inking the raised side of the embossing folder slightly before inserting your card stock and adding a thin card shim to get a deeper impression.
The tree cards on the right of this photograph were done that way. There are videos on You tube that show you how to do it. I like this one


I love this Stag's head Letterpress plate and have had some success embossing it with gold brilliance ink. I think this may be part of my Christmas cards for family this year!
I have tried to do two colours and deboss the sentiment too, but I have found it difficult to line up with out the Lifestyle Letterpress plates. I may just leave it plain and add  my greeting afterwards.
So why not have a go at some Letterpress techniques in your Jingle Journal? Tflx

No comments: