Sunday, 3 November 2013

Christmas countdown Day 3 Getting the Chalkboard effect and some downloads

Chalkboard is on trend right now. There are a few different chalkboard papers in various scrapbook lines, also chalkboard embellishments and even Washi tape!
If you have Adobe Photoshop or Photoshop elements you can make your own chalkboard cards digitally and print them out.
For inspiration, I have a chalkboard ideas board on Pinterest here, which includes a free chalkboard background download that I have made cards with before for Project Life (see this post). 
If you would like to have a go at making one, you will need some free "chalky" fonts too which are also on my pinboard.
The ones that I used for the card above are;
Kingthings printingkit, Scriptina pro and Mountains of Christmas, all from free font sites on the web.
If you don't have Photoshop Elements, you can also make a chalkboard look card by printing a white font on a black background in word and then shading over the top with proper chalk when it comes out of your printer.
On  my card above, I varied the fonts and colours and added some digital snowflake brush stamps. I may also spritz it with gold mist after I have printed it out on presentation paper or card stock.
You can download this card from the box in either jpg format or as a word document. I have also included another Noel card I made. 
If you like hand lettering, why not use a chalkboard paper (I used carolling by Fancy Pants) and a white Sakura gel pen and take some other quote inspiration from my chalkboard ideas board, or my Christmas quotes board? A copy of the quote I used is here from an original inspiration by Bethany Engstrom on my Christmas Quotes Pinterest board.
That is what I did here and then added a chalkboard frame from My Minds Eye
By drawing inside the frame before I started lettering, I was sure that it would fit!
You can also use the white pen to write on Chalkboard washi tape, like this from Fancy Pants designs.
You can then jazz up any other card with a personal chalkboard quotation.
Above: This card I will make later in the countdown. Below: Here I added detail to an old Making Memories envelope I had from old stash. (You will see more of these later.)
If you are not good with your own handwriting, how about using a stamp and some Versamark ink with white embossing powder to get a great effect on chalkboard paper?

I used two different snowflake stamps, but it could have been a phrase too. If you don't have any chalkboard scrapbook paper, just print out the free chalkboard background download mentioned above.
Hope I have inspired you to use chalkboard in your December daily or as I'm calling it Jingle journal!

No comments: