Monday, 4 November 2013

Christmas Countdown Day 4 Punches


We all have lots of punches in our paper crafting collection and it is a great way to use up small scraps of paper that we all hate to throw out. They are great to add depth and texture.
I was inspired by this pin to make a layered card for my December daily using all my different edge punches. Some are hand punches, but I also mixed in a few decorative edge strips I cut with my Cameo. All these papers are from a 6x6 pad of Studio Calico Wonderland papers from last year. I particularly like the woodgrain paper and how it turned out. It fits with my theme.
Here is another 6x4 card using stars I punched out from the off cuts of the edging punches! I laid them all on a 6x4 white card and then stitched over them with my machine randomly. To add depth I punched out some stars in the background. Negative space can be just as interesting! I have used this technique before on various layouts here, here and here. If you wanted to a a spritz of Calico shine or Blizzard mist for a subtle glitter effect you could.
Punching scraps to make layers is also a fun thing to have to hand. 

Again I dug out my punches and punched random scraps I had lying around. Now I have a bowl full on my desk I am more likely to add layers and depth to cards and I will mention more about this in my post about layering another time. Glitter paper offcuts from the Silhouette are great to include in the December Daily. You can also make your own confetti from punch outs.
I use the EK success large swiss cheese punch to make my own confetti (see a later post about using confetti in your Jingle Journal).
How about punching out vellum? The negative space and the positive image are both great to use. This is using my Martha Stewart snowflake punch.


I am going to use these loose in a page protector pocket like Maggie Holmes did here.

How effective does this look? Maggie Holmes is just so talented. I love her "less is more" work.
I have a Jenni Bowlin tab punch and a couple of sizes of tag punches from Fiskars I find useful, but I also found these two pins that used punches to make tags and pennants.


Break out your punches and see what you can come up with. TFLx

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Loving these ideas for a different kind of Xmas card. I'll look out my edge punches, although I haven't as many as you. Thanks......Mgt.