Friday, 8 November 2013

Christmas Countdown Day 8 using wood veneer

Ii have been a fan of wood veneer for ages and had a pack of small sheets I have experimented with before, to make my own wood veneer cards fro Project life. Here is one I made back in February. I just cut it with all purpose scissors.
I have also run it through by Cuttlebug with a Tim Holtz die to cut tabs and tags as I said yesterday. Sometimes it splits but sometimes you are fine.
Last year was all about the plain wooden embellishments you could buy too like these trees I used on my December Daily cover.
To ring the changes this year, I decided to emboss on the wood veneer with some Zing coloured embossing powders that matched my colour scheme.
I selected a few wood veneer shapes from my box and gave them all a coat of Versamark ink before dropping them into the tub or embossing powder and lifting them out with tweezers. It works great! I also went on to emboss some stamps including of the new stamps I made.
I tried all sorts of colours here, including white gold and silver.
I then used some archival ink to stamp directly onto the wood veneer.
The little wood offcuts were then trimmed down and decided to stitch them on to some embossed tags. It went through the machine fine with a long stitch.
Here I cut some banners out of veneer offcuts and then punched a tiny hole with my Cropadile and added a small eyelet. A few of them split in the Cropadile, so I trimmed them down and stitched them to a white wood grain card stock, adding some chalkboard alphabets for good measure!
If you fancy making your own veneer cards, I bought my veneer sheets from e-bay in the dolls house section. If you have not got access to veneer, just use a wood grain patterned paper to achieve a similar effect and layer it on top of Silhouette chipboard for added dimension.
I am enjoying making so many of these cards I am going to have too  many for one album!! TFLx





1 comment:

Jackie xxx said...

WOW ! thanks for sharing this idea, off to find some wood veneer, great idea of embossing the wood veneer chips, something I need to do more often.