Saturday, 9 November 2013

Christmas Countdown Day 9 Calligraphy and Fonts

How is your Calligraphy?  I had a go at some hand lettering on my chalkboard card from day 3 and that inspired me to do an Envelope to Santa. The envelope was an old red one from 'We R Memory Keepers'. I used a white Sakura Jelly Roll pen but a white Uniball Signo also works, like I used here on my chalkboard card.
You can spiff up your finished handwriting by using some heat embossed snowflakes and a spritz of Mister Huey Calico white which is my fave, like I did on the red envelope above! It is opaque and I am on my second bottle! I added a fake stamp to my letter too!
If you are no good at hand lettering there are lots of great free fonts out there you could use instead. Here are a few of my favourites;
Any of these would look great on a card for your December Daily. I have a file of fonts that I can refer to. When you install each one there is an option to print a sample page. I have them grouped according to type.
If you want to print directly onto an envelope, use either Photoshop elements or word and print it first on a normal sheet of paper to check you  have the size right. This font is Channel. I also added a few digital stamps but some fonts have doodles in them you can add.
Once you are happy with the size of print, tape an envelope over the exact printing using Washi tape and run it through your printer again. It should print in exactly the right place! I then stamped and embossed a red post mark
If you have a Cameo, you can use your fonts to print and then cut some script tags. I used the text button to write my slogan and then filled it in with the fill button. I removed the cut lines from my text just like we did in the earlier project on Day 5. I then used the aligned them on a slant.
I added a tag shape from my Silhouette library so that the text went off the edge of the tag, then added the registration marks for printing and sent it to the printer. I printed it on A4 Kraft cardstock. 
Then I ran it through the Cameo to cut them out.
Punch out some small circles of brown patterned paper and stick them in the centre of the tag where you want the hole to be, then punch a hole for the twine with a Cropadile.
These would be great for Christmas presents too! If you would like to download my Studio file, it is here.
If you want to have a go a brush lettering, I used a Mister Huey mini mist in black and a paintbrush to make these cards.
I used some quotes from my Christmas quote board here on Pinterest. I may add some more embellishments to them too. It has dried paler, but you could try with proper Indian ink.
Give some Calligraphy a go! TFLx

1 comment:

scarletcalliope said...

Thank you so much for sharing! The Santa's Sleigh is perfect for the vintage project that I'm working on!