Friday, 16 January 2015

How to Minc your own cards and embellishments


I had been looking forward to seeing the new Heidi Swapp Minc in action at CHA and was delighted to be able to order one and get it in my hands so quickly! It arrived yesterday! I could see the potential in this item and can't wait to get started, unfortunately my supply of foils did not come yet so the sample piece in the box is all I have to play with! Here is what I did.
I realised that I could use any of my cut file pngs to make my own Project Life cards and embellishments for personal use only. It is so easy if you have access to a laser photocopier.
1. First of all, in Photoshop separate your die cut pngs and crop them out individually if you want the item on its own card, if you want a set of embellishments, just leave them all together.
2. Open a new canvas and size it to the card you want, this one is a 3x4 and then place the png where you want it on the card, save it as a png or jpeg and print it out now if you want, but I made several and then added them to a word document before printing several on one sheet.
3. 
Here are the ones I printed off using my normal printer at home and then I took them to get laser printed - make sure if you are using them for Project Life you get them laser printed on card or, as I did on presentation paper.
4. Once you have the laser copies, switch on the Minc.
Mine came with an English plug on and heated up very quickly. I used heat setting 3, added the foil over the top of the laser printing and placed it in the carrier sheet that comes with the machine. I ran it through and that's it! Fantastic results that I am really pleased with! The possibilities are endless.
I tried words, backgrounds resized to 6x4 for a PL card, digital frames that I couloured black before printing, a digital project life card that I coloured black before printing, the ampersand and the arrows, all looking awesome! As I said the possibilities are endless!
You could type up your own text, laser copy the whole page and then foil it! Draw your own design colour it black and get it laser copied. the worst part is I ran out of foil! TFLx

3 comments:

Dina said...

Thanks for sharing your experiences! I've been eying this machine also and can't wait to get my hands on one! By the way...have I told you that I'm in love with your dog? Please keep sharing lots of fotos on Instagram!
Hugs, Dina

Stephie Boots said...

oh no!! I saw sneaks of the minc and was quite sure I didn't need one but I think you've just proved me wrong!!! xx

Sandra said...

I watChed it on Create and Craft tv the other day, and as soon as I saw it, I thought of you lol. How funny that you ordered one ... I'm hoping that Heidi Swapp sees you using it and has you for her DT. You'd be perfect x