Saturday, 10 January 2015

Organising my IKEA Raskog cart for Project Life

I, like many other crafters, have treated myself to a Raskog Cart from Ikea to help organise my crafty supplies and I have recently updated it so here is how I do it!
On the top shelf I have my most frequently used stamps in DVD cases.
I did this a while ago and you can see my original post further back in my blog, but recently I have simplified it and put each complete set of stamps on their backing sheet straight in each box. I wanted to be able to flip through them for easy access so I selected a dozen I use the most and put them in a clear plastic box from Ikea, on the top shelf of my cart. To the side I keep my newest alpha stamp set in a handbook page protector.

The rest of the top shelf is made up of my colour coded embellishments in recycled business card boxes. I blogged about how to do that here.
This system has been working really well for me and because I don't have heaps of embellishments, these boxes are big enough.
On the rest of the top shelf I have my 'go to' tools. Two ceramic yoghurt pots at the back, with my pens, knives, tiny attacher etc handy. In front of them my go to wet adhesives and glue dots.
I then used a Studio Calico Project Life box as a tray to hold my Heidi Swapp date stamp and Jenni bowlin black ink with my most used stamp block, then right at the front a small selection of tools, corner rounder, scoring blade for my trimmer, washi tape for securing paper to my Cameo mat, Amy Tangerine paper piercer, Heidi Swapp distressing tool, rubber, foam dots, spare blades for my craft knife, spare staples for the tiny attacher and a pin to unblock my Glossy accents glue! Top shelf done!
Second shelf has been reorganised so I can fit my ink pads on the cart.
The newer Project Life boxes from Studio Calico are great for storing ink pads. I got my Jenni Bowlin inks on one box as a bottom layer.....
Then my Studio Calico inks in a second layer on top.
To the left I have my other inks that I use the most often. Brillianc gold and Encore silver, Versafine black, Versamark for embossing and Archival black and Stazon for waterproof work. A couple of Hero shadow inks that I use a lot too - Wet Cement is a fave!
At the back is another SC box I use to store my 6 x 6 paper pads. I made it like this one here in this blog post, but left the top open.
On the middle shelf to the right of this ink storage I used to have my open die cut storage like this...

This was not great for me as it collected dust! (No lid) and I wanted the tray to put all my ever growing collection of wood veneer in! So, I went back to my tried and trusty business card boxes for die cut storage according to colour!
I glued a tag of each colour to the side of each box for easy reference. These all fit nicely into another clear IKEA box so I could lift the whole thing out onto my table.
Middle shelf completed.
Bottom shelf is Project Life related. 
On the left hand side of the bottom shelf I have put the storage tray I made from a magazine holder for my spare 3x4 PL cards. You can see how I made it here. I keep larger tags in the back of this and one or two extra shadow inks from Hero Arts. 
The three older SC Project Life boxes on this shelf hold my other tags of all sizes, Frames of various makes and tiny alpha sticker sheets. 
To the right of these sits my box of 6x4 PL cards arranged in colour order using my own file divider tabs that I cut on my Cameo. You can download this cut file free here. At the far right of this bottom shelf, I keep my Cuttlebug cutting plates for quick die cutting.
The small metal bucket you can see hold scraps of 3x4 cards that I have cut up, so if I want a tiny piece to stamp on I can grab and go. The space that is left is where the box containing my current Project Life kit sits when not in use on my desk. I have to say I am not a fan of the update boxes that we get now, so I kept an old one of the magnetic closing type and as soon as my current kit arrives, I transfer it into the more sturdy box for safe keeping. Its much easier to have open on your desk!
So there you have it! How I organise my Raskog Cart. How about you? How do you organise yours? Any questions? just leave a comment below. TFLx

3 comments:

Sandra said...

This has been so interesting, thank you. I'm in the process of sorting my craft room, and my cart isn't working well for me at the moment - I often forget what's on the bottom tray.

I'm trying to make it more workable rather than pretty ... It's a work in progress for sure lol

Lyndsay said...

Hi Caroline, Where did you get the DVD cases for your stamps? The photos make them look acrylic. They don't look like DVD cases to me because there doesn't appear to be the little raised circle in the middle to snap the DVD on.

cannycrafter said...

Hi Lyndsay, they are acrylic DVD cases from eBay and I negotiated with the vendor to supply them without the raised CD holder so that made them cheaper to buy!