Friday, 6 March 2015

As easy as ABC and a Pinterest pin!

I shared a layout on Instagram yesterday that prompted a lot of interest. It was inspired by a graphic design poster I saw on Pinterest of an alphabet made from squares circles and triangles. 

Last year I shared how I kept my scraps of paper trimmed and organised roughly by colour tones. Using thus box of scraps and my timer with a couple of circle punches, this layout was done. 

I decided to roughly follow the colour palette of the inspiration as I am enjoying challenging myself to use new colours to me! If left to my own devices I would probably not pick vibrant colours so I decided to go with the flow here!

The photo was not a particularly good photo but it was all I had that captured the moment, late at night, when my son got back from Uni at the end of his first teaching practice and our little puppy remembered him, it was so sweet! I printed it in black and white. 

First I worked out how many letters I needed in a row and calculated my background size 8.5 X 11 divided by how many letters I wanted to fit in. 
The original Pinterest pin that inspired me is this, from goodlookcookbook.com which has since closed and as you can see I kept pretty much to the original.

I wanted to journal in rows between the letters so I spaced them out and drew pencil lines I could rub out later. 

I just cut 1.5" squares fir the square letters and trimmed them down with scissors or a trimmer by eye until I had my shapes. The larger circles are using the yellow Woodware 2" punch and the green woodware 1" punch which come up small. The tiny circles use the x cut 1/2" circle punch. All triangles were hand cut by eye. 

If you have a go at this yourself I hope you have as much fun as I did sitting there cutting up tiny bits of paper! 
Keeping it simple, I added nothing more than a gold chipboard heart to highlight the photo and draw your eye in! TFLx 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. Need to start saving my scraps to do this. Sabiha

Sandra said...

Amazing ... It's really fabulous