Monday, 2 March 2015

How to make my layout featured in the new Jot Magazine

I love that it's free and I love that there is so much inspiration there. I was thrilled when this layout was accepted for their stitching gallery. I did make it to the short list for their design team this year, but when you see what the Jot girls produce, their talent is awesome! Go check it out for yourself here! You can read it online on your PC or Mac or if you have the Issuu app you can read it on your tablet or download to read offline at a later date. Thanks Kim for featuring my layout in your publication.
My layout was inspired by the Jot February mood board and using a grid layout.
I went with the hearts on a string, the black and white stripe and the word love as well as a chunky
heart shape.
1. First I opened my silhouette software (or you could just use Word) selected a large chunky font and printed off the letters for LOVE at my desired size and cut them out.
2. I laid them on my background cardstock and arranged them until I was happy. I knew I wanted a negative space thing for the O but was going to stitch the other three letters. 
3. I printed a small 2x2 square photo in black and white to complement the black and white stripe paper, and rounded the corners.
4. I cut a 2x2 square from a black and white striped Project Life card I had in my stash.
5. I laser printed and gold foiled (using the Heidi Swapp Minc) a cut file png from Studio Calico and trimmed that to 2x2 and rounded the corners.
6. I selected a large chipboard heart from the Heidi Swapp Gold Foil Value kit and the xoxo

7. Using a Fiskars heart punch I punched 11 hearts from some heart paper in my stash. Two of these I turned to the flip side of the paper before punching for extra contrast. I punched through the pile of hearts in the same place using my Cropadile big bite on the 1/8th punch. Thread them all onto a piece of red embroidery floss.
8. Now roughly layout all the elements on your page for balance and carefully mark where each element will go with pencil if you wish.
9. Using Amy Tangerine's stitching punch and mat, punch holes around the outside of the L, V & E letters only.
10. With the O letter in position, select a small random background stamp and using Versamark ink, stamp all over the O making sure to get inside the O as well as outside. Remove the O and ad your gold embossing powder, shake of the excess and heat emboss.
11. Stitch the remaining letter outlines with white embroidery floss.
12. Arrange and fix down the other elements. Pierce the card at the top and bottom of the row of hearts and thread the red floss through to the back of the card and secure with Washi Tape. TFLx





No comments: